The Visiting Elective Scholarship Program (VESP) supported by the Department of Emergency Medicine was established to encourage fourth year medical students who are underrepresented in medicine to apply for the UCSF Emergency Medicine rotation (EM 140.01). The scholarship program provides up to $1,500 for each recipient.
The scholarship program is designed to:
- Expose fourth year medical students who are underrepresented in medicine to an academic emergency medicine training program
- Promote student interest in applying to an emergency medicine residency training program
The clinical emergency medicine rotation at UCSF is four weeks in length and is available, space permitting, to U.S. visiting medical students. Three weeks of the clinical rotation is located at Zuckerberg San Francisco General Hospital and Trauma Center, the only Level 1 Trauma Center in San Francisco. One week of the rotation is at UCSF Medical Center, a nationally recognized tertiary care hospital. In addition to required rotation didactic sessions, clerkship participants have the opportunity to attend UCSF EM residency conference sessions and grand rounds. VESP participation is not affiliated with the emergency medicine residency match program and participation in the scholarship program does not guarantee a residency program spot.
- Fourth year U.S. visiting medical students who are underrepresented in medicine
- Student must be in good academic standing at an accredited U.S. medical school
- Requirements for the UCSF School of Medicine’s clinical electives must also be met:
- 4th year standing
- Completion of core clerkships in Medicine, Surgery, Pediatrics, and OB/Gyn
Scholarships will be awarded on the basis of:
- Academic achievement (as indicated by transcripts, letter of recommendation, etc.)
- Leadership experience
- Interest in pursuing an academic emergency medicine career
- Interest in serving underserved populations
*Funds are awarded upon completion of the elective and receipts must be submitted for reimbursement. Scholarships are to be used toward visiting student elective fees, transportation costs, and lodging.
- Completed VESP application
- Completed VSAS application to the UCSF Emergency Medicine Clerkship (EM 140.01) including your USMLE Step 1 score report and a letter of recommendation from a faculty member with whom you have worked clinically :
Applications will be considered ONLY for the following clerkship blocks:
- June 5 – July 2, 2017
- July 3 – July 30, 2017
- July 31 – August 27, 2017
- August 28 – September 24, 2017
- September 25 - October 22, 2017
Scholarship applications must be received by April 30, 2017. If you have any questions, please contact Sandra Lieu.